The Archbishop of Colombo, Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith, has called on the people in Sri Lanka to join demonstrations on August 21 to protest the government’s failure to shed light on the deadly Easter Sunday bombing two years ago.
“Raise a black flag on August 21 in front of your homes, institutions and market places as a strong symbol of the silent protest,” said the Catholic prelate during a media briefing in Colombo on August 13.
He said he was not satisfied with the legal action currently being taken by the authorities against those suspected to be responsible for the Easter Sunday attacks on April 21, 2019.
The cardinal revealed that he already received a response from President Gotabaya Rajapaksa to an earlier letter asking for the “truth” behind the bombings.
He said the president’s response “did not mention any action the government would take and a proper investigation into the serious issues we raised about the attacks.”
In a letter in July, the country’s Catholic leaders criticized the “lethargic pace” of a government inquiry into the terrorist attacks on churches, and questioned why recommendations brought by an official inquiry into the attacks have not yet been acted upon.
The July 12 letter was signed by Cardinal Ranjith and several other bishops and nearly 30 priests.
More than 260 people died and over 500 were injured in the coordinated suicide bombings on three churches, four hotels, and one housing complex on Easter Sunday in April 2019. Several of the bombings took place amid Masses and services.
“We can never believe that the truth will come out through this ongoing process,” said Cardinal Ranjith during the media briefing on Friday, adding that if a committee is to be appointed to implement the recommendations of the government, “there should be a committee involving all political parties.”
“It is clear from this procedure that after such a long time the government has no interest in finding out the truth about the attack and they are going to cover it up and wash their hands,” read a statement from the Archdiocese of Colombo.
“The government took political advantage of the Easter Sunday attack and promised to reveal within a month those who carried out the attack,” read the statement.
“Our country is still not secure and attacks like the one that took place on Easter Sunday are still possible at any time. We can’t allow this culture of killing to continue. The country must learn a lesson from the sacrifices of the innocents killed on Easter Sunday,” it added.
The statement said “the real killers must be identified and the country must know the truth.”
“Politicians do not want to end this culture of killing. Extremism is beneficial to them and they continue their selfish journey through the tears of human suffering,” it added.
Cardinal Ranjith has been pushing for Sri Lankan authorities to be held responsible for failing to prevent the bombings.
In October 2020, five of seven suspects arrested in connection with the attacks were released by the government because of lack of evidence.
The cardinal, however, said security officials had confirmed to him that there was sufficient evidence against many of the suspects who had been arrested.
The cardinal, along with friends and family of the victims, have said they fear the release of the suspects meant corruption, or a lack of a thorough investigation, on the part of the Sri Lankan Criminal Investigation Department. - LiCAS.news