A Catholic village in the diocese of Kurnool, South India, celebrated its silver jubilee of existence on June 13.
St Anthony’s Church, Chapirevula is one of the Catholic villages in Kurnool District of Andhra Pradesh state, South India.
Bishop Joseph Rajarao of Vijayawada presided over the Mass. Father Kasu Karunakar, Capuchin Provincial, Msgr Antonappa Chowrappa, Apostolic Administrator of Kurnool Diocese and 50 other Capuchin and diocesan priests concelebrated the Mass.
In his homily, the prelate said, “St Anthony is a companion in daily life. He not only bestows graces and favors whenever one calls him in times of need. He is a confidant who is always present and available whenever we are assailed by problems, be they big or small.”
The village erected a jubilee Arch of St Anthony as part of their commemorations which was inaugurated by Bishop, Administrator, Provincial and Nandikotkur MLA Mr. Arthur.
Besides, a hundred nuns, the Parish Pastoral Council executives, parish unit representatives, and people who migrated from the village elsewhere all numbering about 4000 attended the event.
After the Mass, there was the release of an audio CD, St Anthony Prayer book, souvenir and a short felicitation program, which ended with a sumptuous meal for all present at the function.
Chapirevula was a substation of Nandyal parish. On June 2, 1997, it was erected into a new parish and was entrusted to the Capuchin priests.
Father Adolph Kannadipara was appointed as the first parish priest. This station was started 200 years ago by a Catholic name Mariadas Kottala, a kilometer away from the present church.
The chapel and the houses were in the cyclone of 1850 and only the statue of St Anthony was saved. It was under the parish of Palur in the beginning and later came under Pedda Kottala.
Father Kaskotinest of Pedda Kottala bought land in Chapirevula for the church at the Catholic families and built the present church in 1955 when he was parish priest of Pedda Kottala, and Father Philip extended it to the present size.
Later on, it came under Nandyal parish. Father Adolph Kannadipara has built the new parish church, parish house and the Sisters of the Servants of Mary convent and school on the new site.
Devotees of St. Anthony come to the chapel on the first Tuesday of every month.
Father Boyapati Praveen Kumar, director of this Shrine thanked priests, nuns and Catholics. He also appreciated their efforts for the growth of faith and the service rendered to the Catholic community and people.
Diocese of Kurnool was established in 1967 the population of the state is over one million including 85,000 Catholics. As many as 128 priests and 466 nuns work in the diocese.
Chapirevula has nine substations—Bapuji Nagar, Nerawada, Cowlur (1820), Pandurangapuram (1997), Guntanala (1937), Pusulur(1961), Konidedu (1993),Russulpet(1797) and Mittanala (1934).
St. Anthony's church has nearly 160 Catholic families. - Pujitha Nagalli/RVA Telugu
Radio Veritas Asia (RVA), a media platform of the Catholic Church, aims to share Christ. RVA started in 1969 as a continental Catholic radio station to serve Asian countries in their respective local language, thus earning the tag “the Voice of Asian Christianity.” Responding to the emerging context, RVA embraced media platforms to connect with the global Asian audience via its 21 language websites and various social media platforms.